Monday, October 18, 2010

The Druids: A Book Review

The Druids by Peter Berresford Ellis
Published:Constable & Company Lmt.
Date: 1994

I found this book to be arguably the best book on ancient Druidism, and Celtic culture I’ve ever read. He lays out exactly what evidence there is to support each claim made about Celtic society.

One of my favorite chapters was the one on Druid rituals. I very much liked seeing that he takes Caesar’s claims about things like the “wicker man” with a serious grain of salt. In most of my readings before hand they take Caesar’s writings as the end all beat all truth about Celtic culture.

I have personally never really bought into that idea. The fact that Caesar is the only one to make such a claim, and the fact that he was at war with the Celts at the time, strongly suggests that it was merely propaganda to scare the Roman populace into wiping out the Celts. Human sacrifice is mentioned in vague terms in the Irish sagas, but I never saw any reference to something as extravagant as the wicker man. I believe that human sacrifice was apparent in the Celtic world, but I agree with Ellis that it was something that was not common, and was used as a last resort. Certainly not like how the Romans were using sacrifices as mere entertainment.

The chapter on the wisdom of the Druids really breaks down all the different aspects of Druid duties in Celtic nations. He supports each of his claims with strong quotes from both Greek, and Roman writers as well as insular Celtic texts. I found the section on Druid books most interesting as very few people know of these. The strongest references to the idea are in Christian conquest notes about the burning of pagan libraries in Ireland. This clearly debunks the myth that the Celts and Druids were an illiterate society.

I only had one real disagreement with Ellis.  He refers to Celtic lands a number of times as the "Celtic Empire."  I don't see how this could be as there was no emperor or centralized government to speak of.  To my understanding, the Celtic tribes were only loosely tied to each other much more like the Iroquois nations across the pond. However, I see his argument that the Druids and especially the Archdruid would hold the highest power.  I just don't think that it constitutes an empire.

The final chapter was focused on the Druid revival. I give people like Iolo Morganwg points for stepping out of the box and “attempting” to revive the culture. However, I agree with Ellis that romantic ideals should not replace actual facts. The last section of the chapter addresses the modern “New Age” movement that has been quick to jump on the idea of Celtic culture. It made me sad to read that people are hijacking this incredibly beautiful culture, and turning it into something completely off the mark from what it really was, and still is. This last chapter has compelled me to learn more Gaelic, and keep as much of the culture alive as I can. I do not want to see myself or ADF associated with the “New Age” hijacking of an endangered culture.

2 comments:

tlryder said...

Hi, picked you up from the ADF-Celtic list.

I need to re-read the Druids. It's been quite a while since I read it. I think it's pretty much considered the top resource for Druid/ancient Celtic culture.

I'm interested in things Celtic and Romano-Celtic synthesis.

Mike said...

Took me a while to respond. Sorry about that, I think it never let me know that I got a comment lol. Any thoughts so far? I have an updated review of it if you'd like to see that.